European Electricity Grid Initiative (EEGI)
The European Electricity Grid Initiative (EEGI) is one of the European Industrial Initiatives (EIIs) under the Strategic Energy Technology Plan (SET-Plan) and proposes a nine year European research, development and demonstration (RD&D) programme to accelerate innovation and the development of the electricity networks of the future in Europe.
EIIs are industry-driven strategic technology alliances to address key low-carbon energy technologies.
In a few words, the EEGI’s objectives are to:
- Increase hosting capacity for renewable and distributed sources of electricity
- Integrate national networks into a market-based, truly pan-European network
- Supply high quality electricity to all customers
- Encourage an active participation of users in markets and energy efficiency
- Pave the way for new developments such as a progressive electrification of transport
- Ensure the economically efficient deployment of future networks, for the benefit of grid users
- Open business opportunities and markets for new players in the smart grids arena.
In order to get a good enough overview of existing smart grid projects in Europe, crucial for the work of the EEGI, EU FP7 funding was allocated to launch and run the GRID+ project.
Roadmaps and Implementation Plans
At the beginning of 2013, EDSO for Smart Grids and ENTSO-E released the EEGI roadmap for 2013-2022. The new document is an updated version of the R&I roadmap which was first approved by the European Commission and member states in June 2010. Shortly afterwards, in April 2013, the EEGI R&I Implementation Plan 2014-2016, laying out the implementation of the roadmap from 2014-2016, was published with new implementation plans to be prepared until the end of the roadmap’s life in 2022.
The roadmaps, initiated in early 2012 by the GRID+ Project, are designed to reflect evolutions in technologies and policies. The document is divided into 4 main sections:
- Climate change challenges
- Upgraded system innovation activities
- Expected outcomes and impacts
- EEGI R&I budget.