E.DSO Publishes Feedback Response to the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive
1 March 2022
The recast of the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) should serve to set the EU’s building stock on the road to deep renovation in line with the 2050 carbon neutrality goals. The Directive is fully relevant to DSOs in view of their role for the integration of electric vehicles, Renewable Energy Sources and flexibility services and the deployment of smart grids. In general, E.DSO welcomes the Commission’s efforts to address the need to improve the energy performance of Europe’s building stock.
E.DSO feedback is tailored towards a forward-looking recast based on:
- Decarbonisation of buildings through energy efficiency & flexibility.
- Support of switching to zero-emission low-carbon energy solutions.
- Acknowledgment of the benefits of connection to the public distribution grid for security and quality of supply and for system integration.
- Recognition of the importance of smart meters for system integration and energy efficiency. Data provided by smart meters is a reliable source of information to increase energy savings through renovation.
- Facilitated deployment of electricity smart technologies which empower consumers and increase the efficiency of the system.
- The building of a holistic infrastructure for sustainable mobility which contributes to integration between the transport and energy sectors.
- A robust framework for data exchange and interoperability supporting the integration of RES and flexibility services.