Vision for a ‘Digital DSO’
The European Distribution System Operators for Smart Grids (EDSO) has issued a position paper today which posits a vision for a ‘Digital DSO,’ capturing the key messages of its recent responses to the European Commission consultations on:
- the evaluation and the review of the regulatory framework for electronic communications networks and services;
- the regulatory environment for platforms, online intermediaries, data and cloud computing and the collaborative economy;
- standards in the Digital Single Market.
The paper starts by identifying the digital trends facing DSOs. It then explains how its members are increasingly deploying digital technologies and data solutions associated with these trends to improve their business performance and customer service. Finally, it outlines the regulatory environment necessary to enable the development of digital DSOs. This includes policy recommendations in the following areas:
- Digital Single Market and related regulation;
- revisions to Third Energy Package;
- cost recovery to fund investment in digitalisation and smart grids;
- publicly-funded Research & Innovation.
“Our members are fully committed to this important transformation and fully engaged in shaping the regulation – at EU- and national-level — that will enable it,” said Ana Aguado, EDSO Secretary General.
“’Digital Energy’ will be a major policy theme in 2016, including at this year’s Innogrid2020+ conference on 22 and 23 March, where Commissioners Günther Oettinger and Maroš Šefčovič will be keynote speakers,” she added. Invitations and the agenda for the fifth edition of this EDSO and ENTSO-E co-sponsored event will be issued in mid-January.
The position paper can be downloaded from the EDSO website.